Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Oh, land of the free by the Carib Sea

This has probably been the best past several days I have experienced on this trip. This is due to several contributing factors.
I am feeling so much better than I was last week. All “illnesses” are clearing up or gone. This is great because I do not like to be sick when I am away from my mommy’s great care. J I am getting more adjusted to all of my surroundings and getting into a routine during the week. I have been having great experiences the past few days. This includes discovering the ability to make phone calls from my computer! And I got to have two wonderful conversations with my mom and roommate! This was a great cure to that tiny bit of homesickness I had hanging around in the back of my head. Haha.
For part of our service learning, two girls and I are creating a children’s book on the history of Isla Bonita Elementary school. Yesterday, we interviewed our principal Ms. Addy and got to hear about her life and how Isla Bonita got started. This was the most interesting hour I have spent in a while. You will have to read the book to hear all about it. J Last night, I went to church with Katie T to listen to a pastor who was down from Maryland on a missions trip. This was a very interesting service since it required a lady to translate it in Spanish. This was quite distracting but the message was a good one. This morning, a group of us rode around on our bikes to deliver flyers about some events the library is having to several elementary schools around the island. This was a great experience to get the opportunity to see some of the different schools and what they have to offer. It was an eye opening experience to see the differences in all of the schools and to realize that education is regarded differently at many of the schools. It definitely changed my view of how San Pedro views education, in a positive way. I would really enjoy spending some time at the different schools but I don’t think the professors will allow this. I am grateful to be able to get the small glimpse that I did today, though! I did this for the better part of the morning and returned to my classroom around 11:00am. Needless to say, my kids were extremely excited to see me return. J This made my day even brighter.





Our prompt this week is to explain what we have learned from the teacher we are placed with here in San Pedro. I have extremely enjoyed the opportunity to see how my teacher maintains positivity and is so engaging with her class. This is a great thing because she is so limited with resources in the classroom. She also demonstrates a lot of great strategies with the students in attempting classroom management. This is not something that I have seen in most classrooms at the schools we are at so it is great when I do see it. It is has been a great experience observing her.

Me and Genieve

Darren sporting the shades!

Getting ready to mount my bike. It is quite the task.

1 comment:

  1. Hi am Brianna i use to do my intership there. i got the class of infant 1 . i use to work with a very young girl! I dont knw if she still works their. she is an excellent teacher and I admire her. I LEARN ALOT WITH HER SHE TAUGHT ME HOW TO BE SILLY AND HAVE FUNWITH THE KIDS AND THAT IT IS OK TO HAVE FUN WITH THE KIDS THEY LOVE IT !!I use to teach the kids by the name of RHEA, AMBER, MARBELLA, ASHLEY, GADEN , KIRIAN, KYLE, JOSHUA,DAYANARA. they were so much fun they love to dramatize, sing, and play games with the teacher. i really learned a lot with that teacher she taught me alot and she always did her lesson excited and found ways to involved the kids instead of only writing notes and siting down!! oh how i miss those days!! she always told me to have fun and make the class and lesson exciting so chn can listen to u !! if you are with the same teacher send her hi for me !! i really dont remember her name i think it started with an E!! NOT SURE HAVE FUN !! HAVE U TAUGHT THE WHOLE CLASS HOURS !! I USE TO AND IT WAS FUN U SHOULD TRY IT !! HAVE FUN BYE

    ReplyDelete