Saturday, March 26, 2011

Miss Britney is a...princess?

Responding to our prompt, this is a post dedicated to the similarities and differences of Isla Bonita Elementary and Codington Elementary (or just schools back home in general). There are so many but I will try to touch on a few of the biggies.
-At Isla Bonita, my students get a break in the morning from 9:30am to 10:00am. During this they can run around outside and eat or purchase snacks. They have lunch at 12:00pm to 1:00pm. Most students go home for lunch or their parents come and pick them up for lunch. Few students actually stay at the schools during this time.
-At Isla Bonita, if students do not finish their work my teacher holds them back until they finish. This often leads to students being late for break, lunch, or even being dismissed from school at the end of the day. At home, this would never happen because there would be a huge upset if students missed any part of lunch or missed their busses or vans. Also on this note, there is no dismissal procedure at Isla Bonita. The bell rings and students run and leave the classroom. At home, we have to make sure everyone is accounted for and leaves with their correct dismissal bell.
-Another difference is that at Isla Bonita, my students call me Miss Britney, Teacher Britney, or just teacher. I enjoy being called by my first name but the "teacher" thing was an adjustment!
-At Isla Bonita, the students have uniforms and have to pay to go to school. The uniforms are a garnet polo and tan pants/skirts. The students can pay $1 on Fridays and wear whatever they want. I like Fridays because you get to see the students’ personalities and cultural similarities/differences come out.
For example: Lindley, Justin Bieber is very popular here too. :)

-A HUGE difference is the lack of resources and materials at my school in Belize. I became very dependent on the availability of a smart board, copier, computer, classroom library, desks, pencils, dry erase markers, etc. Not have easy or any access to these things has been a hard adjustment. It really makes you think about what the necessities of teaching are. I can still teach my students the same things but it may take a little longer or the activity may not be as “pretty” as a copy might have been at home. It definitely requires you to be a little more creative with your lessons. Also, there is a lot of note taking going on in not only my class (Kindergarten equivalent) but all of the classes. This surprises me because it is so different from the types of activities I am used to presenting my students.
-The biggest similarity is that everywhere you go... kids will be kids. This is what makes me want to be a teacher and brings joy to my days. I love my class here and I enjoy working with them just as much as I enjoyed working with my 2nd graders at Codington. :)
Some of my students during break! (I have 14 students in all)

Precious Gabriella

Reina and Emely 

Gabriella, Reina, Alex, and Genieve

No comments:

Post a Comment